And that accolade goes to Bakuchiol, the natural alternative to retinol.
Retinol has been around for 50 years and everyone over 40 (actually like Botox and fillers I think it's more like 21 these days) seems to be is using it.
It is great because it has a proven ability to soften wrinkles, boost collagen, smooth the skin and reduce pigmentation and who doesn't want that? But it's also proven to cause redness, irritation, dryness and peeling skin and is not recommended for use if you have any sensitivities.
It also makes everyone's skin photosensitive, which means your skin is at greater risk of damage from the sun. We skincare people tell you ALL THE TIME that you need to protect yourself from the sun and yet here's something that does the opposite. If you use Retinol you must wear an SPF ALL THE TIME, and properly. And I know from talking to people that this does not happen in real life!
On the other hand, Bakuchiol, which is found in our best-selling Restorative Serum:
- softens lines and wrinkles
- firms and plumps the skin
- smoothes skin texture and tone
- is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- does not cause redness, flakiness or skin sensitivities.
- does not cause photosensitivity.
- is non irritating, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory
So, if you want your skin to look its best as you get a wee bit older, gentle, effective Bakuchiol is definitely the better the thing to use.